What I’ve been watching on Netflix #8

What I've been watching on Netflix #8 - Merkitty - an image of a remote control

It’s been a little over a month since I wrote all about what I’ve been watching on Netflix. It’s amazing how fast time flies! There have been some seriously good releases lately. I’m also super excited to see what pops up on Netflix next. I know a lot is coming out that I want to see. As usual, I will try my hardest not to spoil anything and just give a general opinion on what I’ve watched.

On and off lately I’ve not been feeling the best and as I write this I’m actually poorly, so Netflix has been great for me spending a lot of time in bed. My throat is absolutely killing me right now and I have been awake all night because of the pain, but I will soldier on and write this post as I refuse to miss my posting schedule.

What I’ve been watching on Netflix #8

Loving:

Ozark – Season 2

I was surprised at how quickly another season of Ozark was out. It seemed to just sneak up on me! I loved the first season though, so I was super excited to sit down with my fiancé and watch the second season together.

We very soon realised we forgot what happened at the end of the last season and we had to read up on Wiki what was going on. The little recap at the beginning wasn’t sufficient enough. I will say that I found parts of this season very difficult to follow. I was often scratching my head as to whether something happened in the past, future or in the present day. At times it was very confusing!

All in all, though, I did enjoy it once I got my head around what was going on. The series definitely picked up as the episodes got going, it was just a little bit of a slow starter.

I think I still preferred season one though, but, it won’t stop me from watching season three when that comes out. I’m curious to see where they can go with it now.

Atypical – Season 2

Again, much like Ozark it started off really slow and was a little lacklustre. I was pretty mad really that the second season didn’t captivate me as much as the first had. The first season I binged in a day and from the very first episode I was hooked. The second season didn’t do that for me initially.. but once it got going it was really good! I’m now excited for season three.

The relationship struggles between Elsa and Doug really started to grate on my nerves a bit. I just wanted them to sort it out! What Elsa did wasn’t okay, but I understood it and was hoping that Doug would just manage to put it behind him somehow. It was interesting to see how their relationship falling apart was affecting Sam and Casey. This season explored Sam trying to do things for himself and by the end of the season Sam had really become independent.. and I even teared up because I was so proud of him!

Side note.. and perhaps an unpopular opinion, but, I was pleased Julia wasn’t as much of a focus as she was. I’m not sure why, but I just didn’t like her character.

I Kill Giants

This film stood out to me because the thumbnail was really empowering. An image of a little girl standing up to a giant.

I thought this film was going to be fantasy based and full of weird and wonderful creatures (giants of course being the main focus) but how wrong was I. Well, it did have giants.. but.. just not like how I thought.

Now, I will say that I really enjoyed this film and that it was good, but it made me super emotional at the end. It had a huge twist and I was so not expecting it. If you decide to watch this, make sure you have tissues at the ready if you’re a sensitive soul like I am.

Okay:

Sausage Party

This is a very adult animation and I went into that knowing full well what it was and who a lot of the voice actors were. I’m putting it under the “okay” section, because it’s not one I’d recommend people to watch.. but it was watchable.

It was interesting to see an adult animation, but I think I would have liked it more if I was younger and maybe under the influence. It’s that kind of film. I’m a good girl now, but in my younger years I could have seen this being utterly hilarious if I had drank or done something to that effect.

Having said all that, I will reiterate that it was watchable. The best part (in my opinion) was Meat Loaf making an appearance.

Jigsaw

With Halloween looming I thought I’d ease myself into scary films by watching a thriller type of horror first. I loved the first couple of Saw films that came out.. they were so different to anything else I’d seen at the time. But, the more sequels they made the more my interest in them fizzled out.

I decided to try to watch Jigsaw and see if it was any good. It was another just watchable film though.

One thing I liked, was that I felt like I didn’t really need to see the other films to get a sense of what was going on, which was nice. The ending had me confused though.

If you don’t mind gory things, then you’d probably enjoy this, but if you’re squeamish then it won’t be one you’d want to watch.

Hating:

Wow, I don’t actually have anything that I hated this time!

I have plenty of other films and series I’ve started watching and not yet finished though.. and there are lots of new releases that I want to watch with my fiancé.

I hope you all enjoyed reading what I’ve been watching and I hope you are all doing well.

You can check out my last Netflix post here.

If you have any recommendations on what else I should be watching or any comments at all, please leave them below.

I love hearing from you guys. ♥

Share:

16 Comments

1. Jenna
    October 17, 2018 / 2:58 am

Great post! I don’t actually have Netflix, but my roommate has been talking about ATypical recently. 🙂 I am so busy with school, but I definitely need to get a Netflix account this summer – thanks for sharing!
    -Jenna <3
    Follow me back? The Chic Cupcake

• merkitty
      Author
      October 18, 2018 / 3:01 pm

I definitely recommend everyone to get a Netflix account, I’d be so lost without it.

Thanks for commenting! ♥

2. October 17, 2018 / 1:52 pm

Haven’t seen sausage party yet, just clips. Sounds like a good list! I need to find some more boxsets to get into! Thanks for sharing!

• merkitty
      Author
      October 18, 2018 / 3:03 pm

You’re not really missing out when it comes to Sausage Party (in my opinion anyway) but maybe worth a watch if you’re curious in any way.

Thanks for reading and commenting, lovely ♥

3. October 18, 2018 / 5:16 pm

Aw, we don’t have Netflix so I have no idea about any of the shows you’ve been enjoying. I’m intrigued by the I Kill Giants film though, that sounds like a must watch. As far as terrestrial goes, I’ve been LOVING Killing Eve so if you haven’t seen that yet, do head over to BBC iPlayer. Sorry to hear you’ve been poorly, I hope you start feeling better soon xx

Lisa | http://www.lisasnotebook.com

• merkitty
      Author
      October 21, 2018 / 4:26 pm

I loved “I Kill Giants” and I definitely recommend it. Ooh, I’ve not heard of “Killing Eve” – I will have to remember to check that one out. Thanks for the suggestion!

I’m still feeling poorly, but thank you for the get well wishes. I really appreciate it.

Thank you too for your lovely comment ♥

4. October 21, 2018 / 12:04 pm

I completely agree about Atypical – I LOVED the first season, but the second season didn’t feel as good. It did pick up a bit at the end, but it struggled to get on the same level. I think that’s mostly because things didn’t seem to progress. As you say, it was focused on Elsa and Doug’s relationship issues, and that seemed to span the entire season when it wasn’t really necessary. I’m interested to see how season 3 turns out.

• merkitty
      Author
      October 21, 2018 / 4:29 pm

I’m glad you agree with me, Ruth.. but yeah, I’m still looking forward to Season 3 to see what is in store. I’m going to take a guess that things don’t go as well for Sam as we’re led to believe.. he seemed so independent at the end of Season 2 – so I’m going to guess that it will all come crashing down. It wouldn’t make for interesting viewing if it all went smoothly and they lived happily ever after I guess. Haha.

Thanks for coming by and leaving a comment ♥

5. October 22, 2018 / 1:50 pm

Sorry to hear you have been ill recently, hope you are feeling better now lovely! As I don’t have Netflix, I’m always interested to read what I am missing out on. I have seen most of the Saw films already so would like to watch Jigsaw to see what it is like, although a confusing ending is never good. I’m loving the sound of I Kill Giants, especially as it has an emotional twist at the end. I like a film that makes you feel something, it shows that is well written and the characters are likable. Thank you for sharing all your suggestions and glad that you didn’t watch anything that you didn’t like <3 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

• merkitty
      Author
      October 25, 2018 / 8:45 pm

I absolutely love Netflix and I’d be lost without it!

Definitely recommend I Kill Giants if you get a chance to watch it.. but keep tissues at the ready.

Thanks for your lovely comment, as always ♥

6. October 23, 2018 / 2:25 pm

I haven’t seen any of these series. Glad you like them. xx

• merkitty
      Author
      October 25, 2018 / 8:48 pm

Thank you for commenting! ♥

7. October 30, 2018 / 6:28 pm

I haven’t seen any of these, I have Netflix but I clearly don’t spend enough time on it! Love the sound of I Kill Giants – I do love watching something that has a bit of a twist and I love a good ol’ cry watching emotional films.

Chloe xx

• merkitty
      Author
      October 31, 2018 / 1:10 pm

There is so much to watch on it, isn’t there? Sometimes it can be overwhelming knowing what to watch. I have so many things I want to watch and not enough hours in the day to fit it all in!

Sounds like “I Kill Giants” may be up your street then. I enjoyed it, even if I did get all weepy!

Thanks for coming by and commenting ♥

8. November 4, 2018 / 10:42 am

Great post. I recently for Netflix back again and have been catching up on Gotham and Teen Wolf. I’ve seen both Sausage Party and Jigsaw, I found the former rediculous but my dad was in hysterics over it! Jigsaw was a great addition to the franchise and I enjoyed the twist at the end.

• merkitty
      Author
      November 4, 2018 / 2:50 pm

Thank you!

I tried the very first episode of Gotham thinking I’d enjoy it because I love Batman.. but I just couldn’t get into it. I’ve never tried Teen Wolf and I don’t know much about it, besides the title and assuming it’s about a teenage werewolf?

Sausage Party was very ridiculous.. watchable though. I think it probably appeals to men more in general as my fella enjoyed it more than I did.

Perhaps the twist at the end of Jigsaw would have made more sense to me if I’d have watched more in the franchise..? I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks for commenting, lovely ♥