I was thinking about this a lot and what makes me not read other peoples blogs and I was wondering what might make someone not read mine, so I thought I’d make a little list of things that put me off of reading someones blog.. and you could let me know what puts you off too, so maybe it might even help me improve mine. Some of these apply to websites in general too.
5 Reasons why I may not read blogs:
1) If I have to sign into something to leave a comment it really puts me off. I know a lot of people like disqus, but for some reason it doesn’t always keep me signed in. If I have to think about remembering a password it usually ends up with me forgetting what I was going to comment in the first place. Also, if I have to use a platform that I don’t want anything to do with then that really puts a stick in the works. If you require me to log into Facebook for anything then there’s no chance I will ever. I absolutely loathe Facebook and refuse to make an account.. so many websites, apps etc all offer you a chance to connect or log in with Facebook and it really grinds my gears. I think there should be a few options to comment (I also need to work on this for my blog, as right now there is only one way to comment)
2) Pop-ups! As soon as I come on your blog page I don’t want to be inundated with pop-ups. If I want to subscribe, then I will find the button myself thanks. I don’t need a pop-up coming at my face for everything.. it’s annoying.
3) If you don’t have a Bloglovin’ link, that makes me sad. I never subscribe via e-mail or anything and Bloglovin’ is a great way for me to keep up with all my favourite blogs and enables me to comment regularly. I know I can technically add you myself, but it’s so much better if you have a link.. just makes life easier all around for me.
4) Music that autoplays on your blog! There’s nothing more frustrating. If I’ve forgotten to mute my speakers and it’s late at night and I’m trying to have a sneaky read of blogs because I can’t sleep, being blasted with music is not ideal.
5) If your layout on your home page is super confusing and you make it hard for me to navigate my way around, then it really puts me off. Nobody wants to spend their time trying to figure out how to find their way around a blog. I keep seeing this trend where people just have images on their blog home page and while it looks super pretty, it’s not really functional or ideal for me. Personally, I like a snippet of text of what I’m about to click on so I can get an idea if I want to read it or not.
Now, I’m not saying my blog is perfect.. far from it. I’m sure there are many reasons why people may not like my blog either. This wasn’t an attack on anyone personally, it was just my own preferences and they probably don’t even reflect what anyone else thinks. Basically, what I’m saying is.. at the end of the day, you do you. Don’t change your blog because you think it has to conform to anyones ideals. This was simply me ranting and getting out my thoughts.
I’m curious as to if anyone else shares any of my niggles though? Or if there’s anything else that other people don’t like? Let me know in the comments, I’m really interested. Your input may help me improve my own blog.
You can check out my other posts relating to blogging here.